Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My kids - Drug Awareness

I call them my kids but they really aren't, but in a small way I feel so connected to them once we meet because we share a common thread - their drug use and my experience with Angie's. So, that's what I do once or twice a month at this point, I go and I talk with them and also with their parents. It catharic for me and so far it appears at least in part I am having a positive impact.

The last group of kids I met with happened on February 4th. I meet with them at the end of their D & A class through juvenile probation and parole. So by the time I get them they've been lectured too and videod to death. Their experience with me is different. I talk with them not to them. I try and be real... truthful... they want to hear the truth but they want the whole truth. I don't sugar coat anything. I don't hide my faith in Christ. I hit them straight on, make them think and try and get them to realize they are not the center of the universe.

In this group I had one gentleman that would not show any expression. I was able to make eye contact with him but no expression. I try and get some sort of expression - verbal or otherwise from all my kids if possible. So, I told him if he didn't at least give me a smile I was going to rap to him. So I did the rap portion of the TLC song "Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls"... half way through he smiled... by the end he was "laughing" just little. What a beautiful smile.... what a beautiful young man full of so much pain.

I was reading my thank you "letter's" from that group on Monday night and I ran across his... no signature, that's how anymomous he must feel he needs to be. In his note he thanked me and said he never thought anyone could ever touch him so deeply inside, and that he has spent his whole life living with a beautiful mother who is an addict. I cried and cried... how I wish I would have known. How I wish I could reach out to him... to hug him... to tell him again that he is loved so much.

God gives me what I need for these kids, the words, the vibe... everything. I feel so blessed in this area of my life. Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment